Monday, April 22, 2013

Welcome to the Accessible Gourmet

The idea to create this food review blog came to me one Sunday night in Ann Arbor, Michigan.  For readers not privy to the area, Ann Arbor is a bit of an anomaly of the mid-west.  Located in close proximity to the Detroit Metro Area and housing a major university, this town is a hipster take on a city.  Crawl into any alley-way or back door entrance to almost any building downtown and you find yourself among thrift shops and funky college bars and restaurants.  Then, if you have access to the rest of the town, there is a bit of everything from breweries and Korean BBQ to taco stands and Coney islands in the many corners waiting for you to explore.

Ann Arbor isn't the only place I wish to shed a culinary light on.  I'm starting here because of proximity and my unique take on food.  The Food and Wine Hedonist (http://foodandwinehedonist.com/, check him out because he has great things to say about food as well) is the closest to a real freelance food critic this town has, and he caters to the older, career driven crowd.  I know my target audience is the Gourmet on a budget, the college student who is sick of ramen from a microwave on a Thursday night, the grad student who is awake at 3:30 in the morning after working all night at the Law Library.  I wish to document the strange experiences I've had at classic establishments like the Fleetwood, as well as locate the best of each cuisine in the area.  I regularly visit Detroit and the outlying areas, and love to travel as well, so this will be an outlet for those experiences as well.

I'm aiming to put out content 2-3 times per week, with a regular piece about a non-Ann Arbor establishment coming once every 1-2 weeks.  This project is more for me to put together a portfolio of my experiences to share with the world then truly being judgmental.  If I can quantify the value or quality of an experience, I will try to, and every review will have a recommendation of what to try or avoid.  I'm doing this for you, and I look forward to embarking on this quest for great food.

-C

5 comments:

  1. Who says you need to be a 20-something student to appreciate budget gourmet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's moreover that I'M a 20-something, writing for my peers, rather than it being exclusive to 20-somethings! I'm also going to try and include reviews of markets and the like, as well as the obligatory special on Zingerman's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! THanks a lot for the props! I hadn't thought about, but I guess you're right that I write to that crowd... Trust me, I've certainly eaten my share of Fleetwood and late night burritos. Looking forward to reading about places I haven't hit yet!

    Also, not sure if you saw my post where I announce that I started a Meetup group of local food/drink bloggers - http://foodandwinehedonist.com/2013/04/09/calling-all-local-food-and-drink-bloggers/. We just had our 1st meeting last week and will ahve another in about 6-8 weeks. Now if you were there, I have some serious explaining to do...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apologies if this was submitted multiple times... was having trouble posting - Blogspot doesn't talk to my Wordpress acct so well.

      Delete
    2. Hey! I did see your call out for a meet up, but it was literally the day after! I'll look forward to meeting you and the rest of the local critics soon. In the meantime, I'm going to get some of my off-blog reviews into this format and start getting them up tonight.

      -C

      Delete